The Airchair is easy and logical to use but we recommend you read the operating instructions and watch the video before you use it. You can also download a copy in pdf format, to keep to hand, or distribute to colleagues.
Please note that the Airchair has been designed to be an on-board transit chair only. If used outside an aircraft it should only be used on flat, even surfaces and is done so at the operators’ responsibility.
1. Remove the Airchair from the carry bag and unfasten the waist belt. This is done by squeezing the prongs on the buckle.
2. Grasp and raise the Airchair backrest until the two hooks click into place. Make sure the waist belt is not trapped in the locking mechanism.
3. Continue to unfold the Airchair until all four castors are flat on the floor. Apply both brakes (push the red toggles downwards until they click) and then unfasten the thigh belt.
4. Release the footbrakes by lifting the red toggles with your foot. Move the Airchair to the passenger’s location and engage brakes again.
5. Seat the passenger and tighten the waist belt firmly. Lower the side restraints if required.
6. Unfold the footrest and position the passenger’s feet on it. Fasten the thigh belt. Disengage the brakes and move the passenger to the side of the aircraft seat they are to occupy. Engage brakes.
7. Fold the footrest away and then unfasten both the thigh and waist belts. Fold up the side restraints.
8. Retract the backrest by pushing on the “Push To Release” bar. Allow the back to fold down towards the floor.
9. The member of cabin crew or carer can then help the passenger slide from the Airchair to their airline seat.
10. To stow the Airchair, release all brakes, fasten the thigh belt then grasp the front and rear edges of the seat and lift. The Airchair will automatically fold.
11. Encircle the Airchair with the waist belt and fasten. If required, return the Airchair to its carry bag and then stow in an overhead locker or dog box.
In some circumstances, depending on the passenger, additional assistance may be required when moving the Airchair, especially if the area is restricted. When stowing the Airchair, make sure that all the brakes are off and place it into the carry bag.